Simonstown Gaels GFC are running the popular Last Man Standing competition for the National Football League. Each entrant must pick a county for round 1 and continue picking a winning County through each round of the league to stay in until we have a winner. The competition will incorporate Divsions 1 & 2. Everyone is asked to support this fundraiser from which all proceeds after prizes will go towards club facilities. Get in contact with a team coach, or club seller, buy a ticket & get involved.
Simonstown Gaels have a busy weekend with a number of teams in Championship action.
Thursday 11th September – Minor Championship v Dunshaughlin at home. Throw in 7:30
Saturday 13th September – Senior Quarter Final v Na Fianna. Throw in 5:30 in Trim.
Sunday 14th September – Junior A Semi Final v Dunboyne. Throw in 3:30 in Dunshaughlin.
Come out and support your club teams.
- Opening Remarks
- Team review
- Gym Development Working Gp
- Football Budget Q3
- Underage competitiveness
- Football initaitives for 2015
- Planning for 2015
- Upcoming Events
- Floodlights. The main pitches’ floodlights were serviced and improved recently. This work means that lights can be safely and simply operated by key when required.
- U21 Management. U21 management team was appointed at June executive meeting with Ned Kearney appointed as manager assisted by Hank Traynor & John Lunney. The club was extremely satisfied with both the level of interest in the role & the calibre of candidates.
- Club Gear. Club gear is available either online or through pooled club orders. Players, management and supporters are encouraged to wear club gear as much as possible.
- Player Retention. County Board has started a committee on Player retention (or lack of) and teenage years (13 – 18 in particular). This is a issue we are trying to address within the club and it is clear from the meetings that other clubs are in a similar position. Managers are asked to identify players that have or are beginning to drift and discuss with Colin Moran. I ask that any managers especially in the critical age groups attend this rolling meeting if possible (July 17th in Navan).
- U35s. Simonstown u35s are playing against Waltestown next weekend (Sat 12th) and any interested players are asked to contact Cormac McEvoy.
- Club Coffee Shop. Club coffee shop is open Saturday mornings and all teams are asked to encourage coaches, players and parents to call in for a coffee.
- Academy. Academy training continues on Saturdays with the kids have passed level 2 recently.
- U8. U8 boys and girls are continuing to participate in blitzes and are training Wednesday & Saturdays.
- U10. U10s are training Wednesday evening & Saturday morning and have participated in 5 blitzes so far.
- U12. U12s are now in the Summer league and are also training Wednesday nights.
- U14. U14s recently competed very well in Leinster Invitational Feile. They have started their Summer League.
- U15. U15s recently won the Meath 7 a side competition.
- U16. Summer league has started and training continues.
- U17. U17 Summer league has started with 1 game played. Ciaran Kenny is managing this team.
- U18. Training continues with championship due to start in August.
- Jun C. Jun C are qualified for knockout stages of championship.
- Jun A. Going very well in B League 1 and well positioned to progress in championship.
- Senior. Well positioned in league and 100% championship record. Likely that next championship (rd 4) will be early – Mid august.
A working led by Ned Kearney is in the process of finalising a report on how to progress the club gym with regards to football strength & conditioning. Considerations include space, equipment, access, management and usage. A phased plan will be brought to the Executive for decision in early August.
The third quarterly meeting will be held in August. This follows meetings in Feb & May. In addition to general agenda items (team update, budget, ongoing events) it is intended that this meeting will also discuss the ‘competitiveness’ of our underage teams. The meeting will be open & any and all ideas for progressing football & football resources/infrastructure are encouraged. Proposed date is Monday 18th August.
- Please update facebook & website with football news (before and after) if you have access. If you don’t have access please pass info to Kenny Cantwell.
- Juvenile teams that have big brothers assigned are asked to incorporate & include them more into sessions & big matches.
- Best wishes to Ciaran Kenny & Robbie Quinn who are continuing their recovering from injuries at present.
- Best wishes to Seamus Kenny, Shane ORourke, Colm & Eamon Brady as Meath prepare for the upcoming Leinster Final.
- Anyone interested in assisting the football committee or getting involved with a team is asked to get in contact.
- Any fundraising ideas for football are asked to be forwarded to Executive for progress.
Simonstown v Mullingar Shamrocks
Underage, Ladies & Senior football challenges
They formed two thirds of one of gaelic football’s greatest ever full-forward lines but Royal County legends Colm O’Rourke & Bernard Flynn will be in opposite corners for real on Saturday, June 7th when O’Rourke’s Simonstown plays host to Flynn’s Mullingar Shamrocks (7pm).
The senior contest will be the highlight of an inter-club day against our friends from Mullingar which will also feature underage & ladies games.
Proceedings will get underway at 4pm and the senior game will be followed by a BBQ & social evening.
All players, members, parents and supporters are welcome!
Simonstown Gaels GFC wish one of its senior players, Ciaran Kenny a smooth and speedy recovery from knee cruciate surgery. Ciaran underwent surgery in Santry Sports Clinic following a serious knee injury sustained earlier on in the season. We wish him the very best and hope to see him back in action in the near future.
Club Training for all teams is continuing. All new players or returning players at all age groups from 4 year olds to 44 year old are welcome to attend and participate. Outline training times are as follows;
Monday Evening – Girls training (u10, u12)
Tuesday Evening – Mens Teams (Senior & Junior A)
Wednesday Evening – Mens Team (Junior C)& u9s, u10s, u14s u16s
Thursday Evening – u18s
Friday Evening – Mens teams (Senior & Junior A)
Saturday Morning – Academy (u5, u6, u7), u8, u9, u10, u11, u12
One of our Academy Coaches has organised a collection that will result in a free defibrillator for the club. This life saving equipment will be secured once we collect a large number of mobile phones. All Club members are asked to bring old & unused mobile phones into the reception area & deposit them into the box provided. Alternatively old phones can be handed to coaches at your next session or match.